We arrived yesterday evening, though it has felt like much longer because of all we have done. Diana and I have settled into our room- she's the greatest roommate, keeps me sane when particular members are particularly frustrating. After we arrived we had dinner then went out walking to the Old City of Jerusalem. We went to the Western Wall, which is the holiest site for Jews because it is the last remnant of the Temple that was destroyed in AD 70; they wish to rebuild their temple, but the Dome of the Rock sits on the location where it should be built (also where the Arc of the Covenant is thought to be buried), and that is in Muslim control. I am certainly garnering more insight into the world of Conflict and Conflict Resolution. But the Wall was certainly a location heavy with spiritual nature. Men and women (segregated at the wall by a partition) were crying, rocking back and forth, and shoving their written prayers into the cracks of the wall. When you walk away from the wall you must walk backward because culturally to turn around is to turn your back on the holy of holies. And I have to wear a head covering nearly every day. I thought it would bother me more, but frankly, I'm almost ready to get a burka-like outfit because the men are so rude and aggressive. It is intimidating to be out alone.
Today we walked the rampart around the entire city; saw where Jesus was persecuted and had the crown of thorns put on his head; Via Dolorosa on his way to Golgatha; his tomb. Tonight we went deep into the earth, several hundred feet into the archaeological excavations of the Western Wall and the Temple Mount. We were in a small, winding tunnel and I have to say, it felt a bit like a scene from an Indiana Jones movie!
More adventures tomorrow!
With love, Corinna
2 comments:
Wow!! That sounds amazing.. I am so excited for you that you get to be in Israel and see all the amazing history over there. I hope it's not too hot, although I expect it is.. so stay cool, and take lots of pictures! :)
I find that really interesting that you have to walk backwards from the wall, I just wouldn't want to hit anyone as I walk backwards :P
Post a Comment