Saturday, June 14, 2008

In a quick brief, yesterday we took a bus around to various sites in the Benjamin region, among them the tomb of Lazarus (who was raised after 4 days of death), the Old and New Testament sites of Jericho (recall the story of Joshua who marched around the walls of Old Testament Jericho for 7 days until the walls fell), and then we went on an extensive hike to a newly excavated site.  It was so nice to be out in the country side again, away from the concrete!  I find pavement so draining.

Today we bussed around once more, sites of note are Herodian- a phenomenal palace Herod built.  He first constructed a mountain top by adding dirt then built a circular palace above.  There were great views of the Dead Sea.  I was rather amused that Josephus (a respectable 1st century Jewish historian) describes the mountain shape as that of a woman's breast, but then again, I can be easily amused.  There were tunnels dug up through the middle of the mount to be able to carry up water in case of siege; our group has a penchant for small dark spaces it seems, so we climbed all the way up the mountain in these tunnels.

Tonight a small group of us are going into New City Jerusalem, which we haven't been to yet, only the Old City.  One of the girls in our group likes one of the Jewish guys that works here, and finding a personal enjoyment in hosting a mingling, I facilitated the organization of the outing.  I love what we are learning, but sometimes we need a little break from archaeology! 

Tomorrow is our day off, though we do have a quick exam to take in the evening.  
I miss the little comforts of home, but I love being on the go and seeing such phenomenal things.

I fear losing my riding muscles, so I plan on hopping on a camel or donkey soon, they seem to be the desert transportation of choice.  The other day three boys, around age 12, 9, and 5 came galloping up on a single donkey, bopping him on the head with old irrigation piping. Jockeys in the making.

Missing you all, Corinna

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails