Thursday, June 18, 2009

Abra la Boca

We went to La Boca area today.  It is the area next to the port where Tango was begun.  The sailors (German and Italian mainly) would come to port and outside the brothel windows would call and sing to the prostitutes, thus the agonizing and passionate dance of love = tango. 
The buildings are so colorful because the immigrants would steal paint from the ports to decorate their new Argentine homes thus creating a patchwork of colors.


Leaving La Boca was painful- huge protests today blocking Avenida 11 de Septiembre, which at 19 lanes is the largest avenue in the world.  The protests presumably are in anticipation of the elections in two weeks- there is great discontent with Presidente Kirschner, who assumed presidency when her husband's terms ended.  The elections are regarding Congress.

Oy, only one and a half days left in BA. que triste.  But I am out so late and sleeping so little I am getting a bit sick, so it is probably a good thing that I go back to slightly boring Santiago so I can catch up on my rest!

4 comments:

John Charlton said...

Is that you on the balcony?

John Charlton said...

Shall I sing to you?

Unknown said...

please. lets tango.

dianasaur said...

omh i looooove the colors of the building! my house is bright orange, its awesome. i want you to come here now.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails