Sunday, March 7, 2010

Lazy Sunday picnic day


once i step foot on the panoply of colors, a patchwork quilt of mix-matched old swimming towels, my mind shifts to a much more peaceful realm: i am on a picnic.  picnics are indulgence.  picnics are eating on the ground, cross-legged, half-asleep in the sun.  picnics allow time to slow down, for one's blood to warm and inch sluggishly through veinal courses. crumpled paper bags, devoured cookies, and dreamy stares at a creamy azure sky.








we may have been only in our back yard, but on our island of towels, we were a world away.  an afternoon vacation.  we laughed.  husband said we were like "English people: we have no tan and we strip to shorts and tank tops, thinking its hot when it's only 67 degrees (19.4 C)!"  I got a kick out of that.  (yes dearest English readers, I know it is only a stereotype, thats what makes it even sillier.)

notice how some trees have leaves and others none at all!  oh springtime! 

3 comments:

My Owl Barn said...

Oh, How much I miss outdoor picnics. These photos are lovely!

Unknown said...

Hurrah for silly old picnics and all the old fashioned fun!
I can't wait to go down to blanket business and lemonade stands...

XX
Victoria

Amy @ Varnish said...

We are doing exactly the same thing today! Viva la backyard!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails