Last night, rather late as I had been packing, packing, packing.
Lights are out, I'm under the covers and husband is sitting next to me talking me off to sleep. We keep our blinds that cover the sliding glass doors partially opened so that the sunlight helps pull us out of bed in the morning. Because we have a fenced backyard without any houses looking directly in, it seems like an okay thing to do.
I am turned away from the doors and husband is facing them.
Suddenly his body goes tense and he says, "I think I see something moving around out there." Familiar with his jokes I ignore him. Then he says, "no really Corinna, I see a dark shape moving in the backyard, I think it's a person!" I start to get a little worried and lie very still. I tell him to grab his heavy, steel, magnum flashlight he keeps under the bed for emergencies. I hear wailing police sirens out on the street increase in sound intensity as they come closer. Husband's voice is an intense whisper: "Look! oh my gosh, someone is jumping the fence!"
The adrenaline surges into my ears. My body is rigid, alert, and scared. I turn to look over my shoulder, searching the darkness for this trespasser. Immediately I see dark shapes hovered against the fence. My eyes are unable to discern the contours of a human figure. "What?! Where?!"
He laughs. "You actually believed me?"
Fooled. Instantly a little angry, though very relieved that this was just a horror story fabrication. I lay back on the pillow, my pulse pounding in my ears. I don't let him leave me for another 15 minutes. We laugh a little. I think Bedtime stories will need to become a little tamer!
We are moving out into the countryside on Monday, and we quickly acknowledge how easy it will be to scare ourselves at night with every pair of lonely headlights that zip by (or that decelerate near our house) on that back country road.
Feliz Viernes!

2 comments:
Oh, nasty business...You've got me too in the beginning... ahhh, your husband's humor is something...I would have pummeled him...
This actually once happen to me when I was very young living in the East German county side...
A guy out on parol had been in a road side accident, ditched his car and needed help without the police noticing....so he climbed into our house in search for help....we were scared to death!
He eventually left again, we could talk him into going to the village instead to find help. We had no telephone there, nothing!
Your story reminded me immidiatly!
Country side, eh?
This sounds nice, whats with the French thing? I thought its going to be France...OK wine country, I get it! LOL!
Love your blog connetions from a few days ago, lovely finds!
Happy weekend, it must be great to finally relax after your exams, hmmm?
XX
Victoria
PS: just read your broken wrist story, oh dear, now I only understand the extend of the impact.... exams and no riding, double bummer! How is it now, getting better? You are halfway through...
Post a Comment