Monday, June 7, 2010

Love from London!

We arrived from the train yesterday afternoon- I love it!  I have such fondness for the city; this must be my fourth trip now? maybe fifth? Despite arbitrary weather and questionable local food, the history and beauty are remarkable.  Its a city where I feel that I'm coming home, and yet experiencing it all new over and over again.  A few of us took a nice walk upon arrival; we are staying near Trafalgar square so the Jubilee bridge is just a block away.

The London Eye and Big Ben behind us, on the Thames; 
of course its the Columbian girls in the group who I have been drawn to!


One of our friends walked into the hospital for free treatment.  He is a Puerto Rican citizen, but they gave him medical care and antibiotics for his ear, and I think they suggested he pay less than ten pounds.  How do British tax-paying citizens feel about this?  Is everyone okay with is because the citizens find there is a human right to ear inspections and medicine? Are there so many doctors that there is no problem with letting anyone walk in for non-emergency care?  From an American perspective it really is just the oddest thing.  Pros and cons I'm sure.

Now I am off to London School of Economics for a rather long day of EU and Economic law classes.  Fortunately the sun is out quite late so getting out of class at 5 leaves us with some time to walk about.  The weather report says it is supposed to be raining, but it hasn't, and its really warm!

View from my hotel window

Off for more coffee, so many different time changes have left my body constantly tired!

2 comments:

dianasaur said...

kiss london for me. i miss him.

Unknown said...

Oh, I love London, I have been there only twice so far. My son went to boarding school near Reading and I can't wait to visit England and London again!
As for medical help: I think its a humanitarian way to deal with people. It has always struck me as odd in America how all boils down to payment first and then the treatment. I guess there are many ways to deal with it and I still hope for more reforms in that respect here in the States.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails