Monday, June 16, 2008

I write to you VERY happy!

Hello hello!

For all those who know me well, imagine a place where my dreams come true, and that is where I am.  I am a short walk from my hotel in--get this-- a chocolate store AND coffee shop, with free Internet to boot! Diana and I are a little timid though, we were brought Turkish coffee with cardamon and such, and it smells a little strong.

The other very happy and wonderful experience today, other than this marriage of chocolate and coffee in one residence, was swimming in the Mediterranean sea! We went to a great archaeological "tell" (dig site) in the morning in Ashqelon (note: I revel in the freedom from the English determined mandate for the letter 'u' to follow a 'q').  Ashqelon was a bit of an adrenaline rush because it is within rocket-reach from rocket-launching Gaza.  A rocket hit a month ago in a shopping center and killed 4, and a rocket his this past Thursday the 12th and landed in the ocean just a way from where we were standing today.  But the site visit went fine, and we were lectured by world-famous archaeologist and Harvard professor Dr. Stager.  However, Dr. Nelson (our group leader) didn't want to unnecessarily subject the group to risk so we drove north to a wonderful beach spot.  I couldn't believe I was in Israel!  Tiki huts serving food and drink, azure sparkling warm water, body surfing in the waves, sunbathing, just so... happy-making.

We then stopped at various sites (the day started to go realllllly slow after that), the most remarkable being the Elah Valley- the place where David fought Goliath! To spice things up a little a few of us decided to act out the story as it was being read.  Diana, fittingly, was David at her impressive 5'3", which may even be taller than what was David's height.  I even found the stone that was used to strike Goliath.

Well that was today, Monday, one week from having arrived here. In brief of yesterday, our day off (except for an evening exam) Diana and I created a "Santa Barbara with a Jerusalem Twist" day.  We walked into New City and shared a pizza at a vegetarian restaurant, got Ice Blended Mochas at the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (at an atrocious doubling of price, $7!), shopped a little in modern stores, then we dropped into the Old City and, as the deal pushing duo, extensively bargained for hand woven silks and beads.  We had lunch in a small winding alley way paved with cobble stones above and surrounded by a sweeping array of colorful ethnic blankets, shawls, and dresses carpeting the ancient walls.

We leave Jerusalem in the morning with our bags to stay in Arad for two nights.  I'm not quite sure what is there, but once I learn, I'll be sure to pass on the extensive knowledge.

With affection, Corinna

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails